Friday, May 21, 2010

Upping The Ante

I cried in front of the boy. I wrote the boy a birthday card. I asked to see the boy two times in one day. And now the boy and I will be spending two whole nights together. In a row. I keep raising the stakes and he keeps matching my bets. (Why, oh why did I choose a poker metaphor when I'm not even sure I'm using it the right way?) Despite the fear, I push forward. So far, I've been rewarded. Eventually, I'm not gonna love the answer. I know this and I'm thinking about how to be okay with this.

People keep chastising me for preparing for disappointment. As if their romantic lives have never hit a snag. Bad stuff happens. People get hurt. Why can't I steel myself for that? This doesn't mean I expect catastrophe. I don't think I do, but I'd rather be ready for it than not.

Today, it's all rainbows and cupcakes and I'm concentrating on all the good. Which is good enough for me.

1 comment:

  1. thats the thing: you Can't steel yourself against it. thats the very thing. you THINK you can, but you can't . . it still whallops. you can't be ready for it. its catastrophe, its in the definition. disaster. not 'mildly upsetting thing we were prepared for'. .

    ReplyDelete