Sunday, November 15, 2009

It's About Time

Why do I suck so badly at updating this blog/travelog? There's plenty to write about and I even catch myself composing sentences in my head. Often. But I just don't take the time to type them out into a cohesive post here. When I do get the chance to commune with my computer, I'm usually catching up with a friend or getting my daily dose of news from www.dlisted.com . But since scads of my followers (read: my sister) have been clamoring for more from me, here goes:


    The Top 16 Most Wonderful Things About A Bus/Train Trip From 
  Yarmouth, Nova Scotia To Chicago, Illinois

16. Getting an entire bus to myself for the first 5 hour ride to Halifax in which I could sleep and revel in fond memories of my final night and morning with P.

15. Truly beautiful scenery throughout Nova Scotia, including a portion of the trip during which I was literally heading INto the sunRISE. Seemed pretty symbolic of my new beginning. You do get it, don't you? Also, a town called Mahone, where I decided I could definitely live. Until the next 45 hours made it clearer than ever that I want to have easy access to a major airport.

14. Nearing the city of Halifax and witnessing population density more along the lines of my comfort level. And, lame as it is, seeing a Starbucks. I don't even drink coffee, but it made me happy none the less.

13. Listening to Hare Krishna teenagers explain their philosophies to strangers and then ask for a donation for the "free" books (read: pamphlets) they've just distributed. Also, smelling the curry they'd packed for the overnight journey. For real.

12. A bus driver who acted as tour guide and reminded me of the scary robot/almost Buffy's stepdad played by John Ritter: creepily cheerful and wholesome with an undercurrent of menace.

11. The few minutes of internet connection I was able to get at various stops along the way.

10. Wearing no watch, I honestly can't say how much sleep I was getting. I know I woke up a lot, but I also fell asleep a lot. I could fool myself into thinking I'd gotten plenty of rest. Not for long, mind you, but still.

9. Seeing the first snow of the season sometime in the middle of the night, somewhere in Quebec, stopped at some no-name motel reminiscent of the settings of several horror films, for what the new driver promised would be "a good lunch". Never should have doubted him. Or the motel restaurant named "restaurant". (Noncapitalization intended.)

8. Changing clothes and brushing my teeth in the Montreal bus terminal at 6am. And getting myself from said terminal to the train station via subway (le Metro), using my high school French.

7. The croissant, fruit and free wifi I enjoyed in the Gare Centrale, waiting for my train.

6. The suddenly luxurious-seeming accommodations of Amtrak Coach Class.

5. Crossing the border and turning my phone back on after 17 days.

4. A walk around the surprisingly charming Schenectady, NY. And the fish & chips and beer I devoured in the pub next door to the quite uncharming train station.

3. Not being beheaded by the crazy man sitting across the aisle from me on the ultra luxurious train (foot rests!), ranting to himself for much of the ride. And him disembarking in Cleveland, leaving me with several hours of peace and quiet.

2. The long shower in cousin E's apartment which washed away 2 days of grime and desperation.

1. Lying flat for the first time in 63 hours under a down comforter on the futon in cousin A's guest room.

No comments:

Post a Comment