Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Honeymoon Ends

And I suppose it had to at some point.  Although I know some that have gone on for over a decade, pretend marriages can only last for so long. As in most cases, it was me who started the descent. At the end of one of my fabulous dinners, P commented, "I'm really gonna miss these dinners when you're gone." So this, what I suppose would be a compliment to any sane person, had a two pronged annoyance effect on me. For starters, I heard "when you leave" as "you're going soon, right?". Secondly, I didn't want him to miss my cooking; I wanted him to miss ME. Right away I let him know I was annoyed, but as he's not a crazy girl, I'm sure he was confused as to why. 


Later, in bed, when P professed extreme exhaustion as the reason I wouldn't be seeing any action, I flipped. I grabbed my book and went to sleep on the sofa. He may have protested for a second or two, but he was asleep before I'd finished a page. What's REALLY crazy, is that this is progress for me.  I used to just pretend everything was fine, never expressing my anger or hurt feelings. At least I wasn't being passive aggressive! In the morning, he left without a word and I sprang off the sofa the second the door closed, rushing to the computer to text him a snotty message. He sent back an apology and I climbed into bed to sleep off my pissiness. By the time evening rolled around, I was over being upset and told him so, just so he wouldn't be afraid to return to his own home. We made up properly. Until the same thing happened again.


No comments:

Post a Comment