Saturday, October 24, 2009

sound sleep

S & J decided to tear down the wall between their kitchen and living room.  It was a good decision. And as I would be around during the day, it seemed like a good idea to start construction.  It was probably the jokes about telling the crew to build a third story that prompted J to stay home the first day.  Ah, brotherly trust.  

It helps the story to know my sleeping habits vary greatly from those of S &J.  From most of the work force, actually. I'm up late, usually on the phone or computer, and fall asleep sometime after 2am. Which means I sleep until 10.  Or later.  And on this extended vacation from real life,  I might need a nap later in the day, too. It may also help to know that "my" room is about 10 feet from the kitchen. 

Anyway, on the day the wall came down, I awakened when the guys came in, a little after 7am; heard them talking to J, then J heading into the basement to get some work done from home. Next thing I remember, I was waking up to J saying "I can't believe my sister-in-law is sleeping through this." It was 10:30. The construction workers' response? "Oh! We didn't know anyone was here!"  And they quickly turned off the radio, to continue slamming hammers into the drywall. 

When I saw the progress they'd made on the demolition, I also was impressed I'd slept through it all. Then something occurred to me and I ran downstairs to declare to J, "I miss New York!" Not that I had to listen to a wrecking crew every night, but there is always some kind of noise and I had gotten used to it.  And I missed it.

Enough with the missing things. Next couple of posts are guaranteed to be homesick-free.

No comments:

Post a Comment