Saturday, November 12, 2011

I was going to start this post by saying the last time I had a 9+ hour visit with a friend was so long ago I can't remember, but when I DID think about it, I could remember. That time was last month during a visit to my old stomping grounds. C met us in Central Park and spent the day helping me introduce the city to the kids. I miss him daily and although he pointed out there was no need to "catch up," no amount of texting can replace real time with a loved one.

And so it was with B, as well. (Who will read this, but that's not why I'm writing it!) Having known each other for over 26 years, we've experienced myriad levels of closeness, both geographically and emotionally. After all these years, miraculously, we've found each other living in the same state, fairly close even, and with children, step or otherwise, who, while not close in age, are all incredibly fond of each other.

Yesterday, we got together in the morning, just the kids and us (no husbands, though they're swell, too.) and managed to talk and laugh and gripe and reminisce late into the evening. And boy, did I need that. The company, for sure, but also her specific company. To remind me of another time when I was new around these parts and knew no one. B was one of the very first people I met and the very first true best friend I made. And I've been able to hang on to her for a 1/4 of a century, I just may be able to repeat history and find my place here as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment