Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A portion of my day was spent making a dinner for B's family and I was reminded of when I was a nanny and preparing dinner was one of the most enjoyable parts of my day. The chopping and shredding and measuring and stirring: it's not difficult work, but it requires consideration and care. And cooking truly is an art that involves every one of the senses. There're rules to follow, but room for creativity. Not to mention the tangible (and hopefully tasty) result. Even if it's not one a four year old will relish. At least she liked the dessert.

It's not as if I haven't cooked since my nanny days, but there was something about doing this for a family with children which made it different from my other recent forays into the kitchen. At one time, C was suggesting a career in the culinary arts for me. I've thought about this path, too, but in the end, I'm not a very adventurous eater and I just feel as if the passion is missing. Isn't cooking an activity requiring passion? 

Maybe my old thoughts of preparing dinners for my family in a spacious kitchen while little ones bang on pots with wooden spoons at my feet haven't quite left me. But for now, I'm perfectly happy to do it for someone else's family. Especially one I love so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment